So, I’ve had some pretty severe food allergies ever since I was a baby. Peanuts was the big one. When I was about one years old, someone gave me a lick of peanut butter and I ended up at the hospital with an anaphylactic reaction. My mother remembers holding me over the sink with mucus literally dripping out of my face. We found out I was allergic to all other nuts as well, although not as severe. I also had some other fun allergies which I’ve since grown out of, like egg whites and legumes.
The next reaction I had was when I was about three years old when my family and I were staying at a friend’s home before an overseas flight. This one came when the family friend gave me a Reese’s peanut butter cup. Although we ended up at the hospital that night, we were still able to make the flight the next day.
The third reaction I had was when I was about six years old. This was my first day at a new public school. (Remember, this was well over twenty years ago when schools had much less food allergy awareness and regulation!) My family and I had just moved to a new city about a month into the school year. The moving truck was still unloading boxes and I ended up eating a school lunch at the cafeteria that had a peanut butter cookie in it. Good thing the school nurse knew what to do.
After this series of episodes, I had quite a long break, until my junior year of college, without any serious attacks. Vigilance and luck prevailed! Stay tuned for more….